Tips For Thank-You Letters
- Write to the person or persons with who you are interviewed.
- Express your appreciation for the interviewer's time and
- Indicate your interest in the position.
- Reemphasize your strengths and qualifications.
- Mention something you didn't say during the interview (e.g.,
work experience or accomplishments).
- Enclose a resume to refresh the interviewer's memory.
- Unless the recruiter has indicated otherwise, state that you
will contact him/her on a specific date to follow-up.
- Be proactive; call as you said you would!
Fifteen Knockout Factors (Reasons why candidates receive rejection
- Lack of proper career planning - purposes and goals defined
- needs direction.
- Lack of knowledge of field of specialization - not well
qualified - lacks depth.
- Inability to express thoughts clearly and concisely -
- Insufficient evidence of achievement or capacity to excite
action in others.
- Not prepared for the interview - no research on company - no
- No real interest in the organization or the industry -
merely shopping around.
- Narrow location interest - unwilling to relocate later -
- Little interest and enthusiasm - indifferent - bland
- Overbearing - overaggressive - conceited - cocky - aloof -
- Interested only in best dollar offer - too money conscious.
- Asks no or poor questions about the job - little depth and
meaning to questions.
- Unwilling to start at the bottom - expects too much too soon
- Makes excuses - evasive - hedges on unfavorable factors in
- No confidence and poise - fails to look interviewer in the
eye - immature.
- Poor personal appearance - sloppy dress - dress lacks
Twenty Questions Frequently Asked During Interviews
- Tell me about yourself. Expand on your resume.
- For what position are you applying?
- What are your long-term career goals? Where would you like
to be in ten years?
- Why do you feel that you will be successful in...?
- What supervisory or leadership roles have you held?
- How do you spend your spare time?
- What have been your most satisfying and most disappointing
- What are your strongest (weakest) personal qualities?
- Give me some examples that support your stated interest
- Why did you select to interview with us?
- What courses did you like best? Least? Why?
- What did you learn or gain from your part-time and summer