Less than one side of a page. Exceptions to this suggestion arise if
you are responding to several selection criteria.
Your address (& phone number?)
The date line.
Inside Address - Employers name, job title, organisation and address.
Find out the name of the appropriate person.
Use the poor alternative - Dear Sir/Madam.
Mention the position being sought. Don’t keep them guessing as to why
you are writing. In your opening paragraph:-
- Include a reference to the job title &/or reference number.
- Sound positive and enthusiastic from the outset.
- Make the most of the opportunity to make a first impression.
- Perhaps state how you found out about the position.
BODY OF LETTER
The body of your letter must answer the question-
Why should an employer select you?
Your answer should include
- What contributions you can make to the organisation/job?
- How will you add to their success?
- What is your unique selling position?
You need to match yourself to the company &/or job
1. Analyse the job requirements.
2. Include at least one of the following that is relevant to the
jobs selection requirements:-
- State your education levels and qualifications
- Illustrate an example of your transferable skills and
- Explain your relevant technical knowledge of the jobs duties
- Describe personal traits e.g. communication skills, leadership
- Elaborate on a relevant point from your resume e.g. work
- State your reason for applying/interest in the position/job
- Display your specific knowledge of the company
- State your career objective/s
- Explain the action you require - that is, an opportunity to
discuss your application in more detail (don't be wishy-washy).
- State when you are available for an interview and the best way
to contact you.
- Refer to your resume and any other attachments you are
- If a cold contact letter - tell the employer when you will phone
to follow up the letter.
- Thank the employer for their time and consideration.
Yours faithfully - if you don't know the name (Dear Sir/Madam)
Yours sincerely - if you use a title and surname (Dear Ms Green)
Regards - if you use a first name (Dear Judi)
- Sign the letter.
- Type your name.