Sample Secondary Education Resume
17 Allds Street
Nashua, NH 03060
Job Objective: eighth grade English teacher at Amherst Middle School
- Student taught for seven weeks under seventh grade cooperating
teacher in English
- Student taught for eight weeks under eighth grade cooperating
teacher in English.
- Tutored and taught children with learning disabilities in
mainstreamed classroom and one-on-one.
- Developed strong classroom management skills through college
methods classes, student teaching experience, and volunteer work
with students in grades 7-9.
Education and Certification
English Education, B.A., Rivier College, May 1999
State of New Hampshire Teaching Certification, Grades 7-12 (expected May
Overall GPA: 3.4 out of 4.0
Student teacher, Seventh Grade, Amherst Middle School, Amherst, NH,
- Four seventh grade English classes totaling eighty-three
- Total responsibility for all four classes for two weeks.
- Developed and taught a unit on the novel The Pearl by John
- Successfully managed a classroom in which eleven out of the
fourteen students were learning disabled, creating a learning
environment which promoted student achievement.
- Attended and participated in parent conferences to discuss
student progress and enlist their cooperation in assignments.
Received outstanding rating from cooperating teacher.
Special Learning Opportunities
- Worked closely with special education teacher to respond to
needs of eleven children in class with learning disabilities.
Co-developed IEP plans emphasizing concept development, language,
communication, motor, and self-help skills.
- Worked with team of teachers to put on the school’s annual
speaking contest which consisted of Team Finals, Semi-Finals, and
Finals, held at Souhegan High School; promoted oral expression and
communication skills in students.
Pre-Practicum, Eighth Grade, Litchfield Middle School, Litchfield,
NH, October-December, 1997
- Observed and assisted in an English class of twenty-five
- Developed a short unit on Point of View and Edgar Allan Poe's
"Tell-Tale Heart." Developed essay questions, corrected papers, and
developed a quiz on Point of View.
Pre-Practicum, Eleventh Grade, Bishop Guertin High School, Nashua,
NH, January-March, 1996
- Observed and assisted with reading and writing.
- Ran a vocabulary bee to help students review words for the
Pre-Practicum, Ninth Grade, Alvirne High School, Hudson, NH,
- Observed and assisted twelve special education students in a
Directed Studies class.
- Assisted a boy with multiple learning disabilities, in
developing better reading and writing skills; utilized one-on-one
strategies to concentrate teaching methods on student's individual
Work and Volunteer Experiences with Children
- Substitute teacher, Alvirne High School, senior year, college.
- Sunday School teacher, junior and senior year, college, grades 5
- Literacy Festival group leader at Rivier College, junior and
senior year, college, grades 7 and 8.
- AWANA leader, sophomore and junior year, college, grades 5 and
- AWANA Olympics coach, sophomore and junior year, college, for
girls grades 3-6.
- Reading Tutor for America Reads program, junior year, college,
- Reading Volunteer for ninth grade student, senior year, high
- Internet: Extensive use of the Internet, via Netscape, for
college research. Worked with students to post samplings of literary
work at the Webster School.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Print Shop Deluxe
- Hardware: Both IBM and MacIntosh proficient.
Professional Seminars (All sponsored by the Amherst School District)
- Making Prevention Work in NH Families School and Communities,
- Managing Challenging Behaviors, May 1997.
- Transitioning Toward High School Graduation, March 1997.
- Children at Risk, September 1993.
Additional Employment to Help Finance College Education (solely
responsible for 60% of Education Costs)
- Non Foods Clerk and Cake Decorator at Shop’n Save, senior year,
high school through the present.
- Jim Dale, Cooperating Teacher, Amherst Middle School, Amherst,
NH, (603) 673-2155.
- Colleen Brent, Cooperating Teacher, Amherst Middle School,
Amherst, NH (603) 673-2155.
- Dr. Susan Doe, secondary education advisor and professor, Rivier
College, (603) 888-1311.
13 Bog Brook Road
New Boston, NH 03070
position at Pelham High School
- Student-taught for fourteen weeks under
seventh grade cooperating teacher in Spanish I.
- Tutored and taught Spanish I and II students.
- Studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain for fifteen
- Studied abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico for five
- Translated for a mortgage company.
- Developed strong classroom management skills
through college methods classes, student teaching experience, and
volunteer work with students, grades 7-12 and adult English
Education and Certification
- Modern Language, Spanish, B.A., Rivier
College, (expected January 2003).
- State of New Hampshire Teaching Certification,
Grades 7-12 (expected January 2003).
- State of Massachusetts Teaching Certification,
Grades 5-12 (expected January 2003).
- Overall GPA: 3.4 out of 4.0
Student teacher, 7th Grade, Parker Middle School,
Chelmsford, MA, September-December,
- Five seventh grade Spanish I classes totaling
- Total responsibility for all five classes for
Pre-Practicum, Grades 9 - 11, Pelham High School,
Pelham, NH, October-
- Observed and assisted in Spanish I and II
classes of 25-29 students.
- Developed and taught a lesson on “Clothing
Vocabulary” accompanied by a kinesthetic activity using real
Pre-Practicum, Grades 10 - 11, Nashua High School, Nashua,
NH, January-April, 2002
- Observed and assisted in Spanish II and III
classes of 24-28 students.
- Developed and taught lesson on Spanish culture
and bullfighting using personal experience and photographs
Pre-Practicum, Grades 9 – 12, Nashua High School, Nashua, NH,
- Observed and assisted in various classes with
special education students. Classes ranged from Life Skills to
Physical Science and Pre-Algebra. Students ranged in abilities from
severely disabled to moderate learning disabilities.
- Utilized one-on-one strategies
- Developed and taught a modified lesson on
Fossils accompanied by a fossil making activity in which all
students could participate in some way.
Work and Volunteer Experience
- Volunteer homework helper and mentor, Boys and
Girls Club of Nashua, senior year, college.
- One-on-one Spanish tutoring for a seventh and
eighth grader, senior year, college.
- One-on-one tutoring in all subjects for a
middle school student, sophomore through senior year, college.
- Full time nanny for an infant, junior year,
- Various in home child care positions for
children of all ages, high school and college.
- Assistant to teacher with children ages infant
to Kindergarten, Little Sprouts Child Enrichment Centers, junior and
senior year, high school.
- Co-Sunday School Teacher, Nursery and
Kindergarten and First Grade, freshman to junior year, high school.
- Internet: Extensive use of the
Internet via Internet Explorer for college and personal research.
Used classroom software called Blackboard.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Excel, Oracle database.
- Hardware: IBM and MAC
(sponsored the Chelmsford School District)
- Restraint Training from Merrimack Education
Center, September, 2002.
Additional Employment to help
Finance College Education
- Receptionist, Communication and
Marketing at CreoScitex America, Co., summers sophomore and junior
- Work Study in Registrar’s Office, Keene
State College, freshman through junior year, college.
- Sales and Assistant Manager at Hickory
Farms, seasonal, sophomore through senior year, high school,
freshman year, college.
- Elizabeth Loiselle, Cooperating Teacher,
Parker Middle School, Chelmsford, MA, (978) 251-5133.
- Grace Marino, Cooperating Teacher, Pelham High
School, Pelham, NH, (603) 635-5113.
- Dr. Barry Jackson, secondary education Spanish
and advisor and professor, Rivier College, (603) 888-1311.