Resume, Letter, Interview
Mock Interview Lesson Plans
What is a mock interview? A mock interview is
your opportunity to practice your interviewing skills in a professional
setting with one of the career services staff acting as the interviewer.
You want to prepare just as you would for the actual interview.
- Schedule an interview with your Career Services Office
- Come professionally dressed if possible.
Some students prefer not to dress up due to their class schedule.
If that is the case, make sure you are aware of how to dress for
an interview. However, you will get the most benefit
by taking advantage of dressing for the role.
- Bring a copy of your resume
- A video camera will be set up to tape the interview in the
- The interviewer will ask some traditional and behavioral interview
questions – this will give you an opportunity to practice what to
say and how to say it (review the list of questions and answers for
- Remember this is practice – make sure you ask about anything
in the interview process that is not clear.
- After the interview you will view the tape with the interviewer
– you will have the opportunity to critique yourself.
The interviewer will also provide you with information to enhance
your interviewing skills.
Mock interviews provide an opportunity for students to practice and
receive feedback regarding their interview skills. Resources are
available to videotape practice interviews.
In order to best prepare for a mock interview, you need to:
- At the time you make the appointment, tell us the name of the
organization and the type of position for which you will
- Make sure we have a current copy of your resume at least
one day prior to the mock interview; and,
- Arrive for the mock interview dressed in a business suit.*
We offer mock interviews in order to simulate the real experience as
much as possible. Naturally, you want to do everything that is under
your control to increase your chances of getting a job offer.
Participating fully in the mock interview process will advance you
toward that goal. Part of the effective use of this practice session
involves wearing the clothing you will have on at the actual interview.
The advantages of wearing the suit are several:
- It gives the counselor the opportunity to assess whether or not
the clothing and accessories are appropriate;
- Wearing a suit moves you into more formal behavior and an
interview mindset which make the session more successful; and,
- When you come back in for the real thing, it won’t seem so
* If you are not a senior, you are not required to wear a suit;
however, it is to your advantage to dress more formally. For students
who are not wearing a business suit, we strongly suggest the following:
for men - a sport coat, shirt and tie, nice pants and dressier shoes;
for women - skirt and blouse (or pantsuit) and nice shoes.
Next: Behavioral Interviewing