Cover Letter Dos and Don'ts
- Include the person's full name, title, company name, and company
- Include your full name, address, and contact information.
- Use a formal greeting (Mr., Ms., Dr.).
- Center your margins.
- Follow up after three business days.
- Mention how you found out about the position.
- Be upbeat and creative--make your letter stand out.
- Keep copies of everything you send.
- Don't write a long letter--shorter is better.
- Don't address the person by first name unless you know him or
her personally and have permission to do so.
- Don't forget to personally sign the letter.
- Don't forget to check grammar and spelling.
- Don't use flashy stationery (unless you're applying for a highly
- Don't use slang.