Commonly Asked Interview Questions
The purpose of an interview is for the interviewer to find out about
you, the prospective employee. The employer wants to know about you in
order to make a decision about hiring and you want an employer to know
about you so that the decision will be favoable. Dr. Frank Endicott has
done a report on college recruiting and within the report is something
that will aid you. Listed below are fifty questions asked by employers
during interviews with college seniors. Read the questions and formulate
your answers. A good interview often determines whether or not you get
hired. Remember nothing beats proper preparation.
- What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives,
when and why did you establish these goals and how are you preparing
yourself to achieve them?
- What specific goals, other then those related to your
occupation, have you established for yourself for the next 10 years?
- What do you see yourself doing five years from now?
- What do you REALLY want to do in life?
- What are your long-range career objectives?
- How do you plan to achieve your career goals?
- What are the most important rewards you expect in your business
- What do you expect to be earning in five years?
- Why did you choose the career for which you are preparing?
- Which is more important to you, the money or the type of job?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and
- How would you describe yourself?
- How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well would
- What motivates you to put forth the greatest effort?
- How has your college career prepared you for a business career?
- Why should I hire you?
- What qualifications do you have that make you think that you
will be successful in business?
- How do you determine or evaluate success?
- What do you think it takes to be successful in a company like
- In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our
- What qualities should a successful manager possess?
- Describe the relationship that should exist between a supervisor
and those reporting to him or her.
- What two or three accomplishments have given you the most
- Describe your most rewarding college experience.
- If you were hiring a graduate for this position, what qualities
would you look for?
- Why did you select your college or university?
- What led you to choose your field of major study?
- What college subjects did you like best? Why?
- What college subjects did you like least? Why?
- If you could do so, how would you plan your academic study
- What changes would you make in your college or university? Why?
- Do you have planns for continued study? An advanced degree?
- Do you think good grades are a good indication of your academic
- What have you learned from participation in extracurricular
- In what kind of work environment are you most comfortible?
- How do you work under pressure?
- In what part-time or summer jobs have you been most interested?
- Why did you decide to seek a position with this company?
- What do you know about our company?
- What are two or three things that are most important to you in
- Are you seeking employment in a company of a certain size? Why?
- What criteria are you using to evaluate the company for which
you hope to work?
- Do you have a geographical preference? Why?
- Will you relocate? does relocation bother you?
- Are you willing to travel?
- Are you willing to spend at least six months as a trainee?
- Why do you think you might like to live in the community in
which our company is located?
- What major problem have you encountered and how did you deal
- What have you learned from your mistakes?