Everything from finding the right online university to finding the right job!

Quick Degree Finder


Other Health Career Options

Athletic Training

Fort Lewis College offers an Exercise Science concentration in athletic training. For more information, see the college catalog or a member of the Exercise Science Department.

Child Health Associate

A Child Health Associate provides health care for both well and ill patients, in physician's offices, clinics, and community health centers. Associates work under a physician's supervision, but may diagnose, treat, and prescribe medication for most pediatric illnesses. The University of Colorado offers a 3-year program for Child Health Associates. Requirements for entry include at least a 2.5 GPA and 90 hours minimum transferrable coursework. For more specific information on areas of coursework, application, financial aid,
etc. consult the file in 711BH, or write:

The Child Health Associate Program
University of Colorado School of Medicine
4200 E. 9th Avenue
Denver, CO 80262

Dental Hygienist

Dental Hygienists are preventative oral health professionals. They are involved in treatment and education that helps prevent oral diseases such as cavities or gum disease. Students may choose a two year program leading to clinical practitioner status, or may continue on to receive B.S. or M.S. degrees. For more information consult the file in Room 711BH, or write:

American Dental Hygienist's Association
Professional Development Division
444 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 3400
Chicago, Illinois 60611
(312) 440-8900

Emergency Medical Technician

Delivery of pre-hospital care to victims of sudden illness or injury is the responsibility of the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). There are three levels of EMT's. EMT-Ambulance specializes in basic life-support skills, such as CPR, treatment for shock, and assistance in childbirth. EMT-Intermediate serves on a more advanced plane, such as establishing intravenous lines and assessing trauma patients. EMT-Paramedic offers advanced life-support, such as airway maintenance, defibrillation, and medical administration.

Minimum requirements include a high school diploma, an 18-year age limit, and a valid driver's license. EMT-A programs require 100+ hours of educational training. EMT-I and EMT-Paramedic levels require even more training beyond this. For more information consult the file in 711BH, or write:

National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
P.O. Box 29233
Columbus, Ohio 43229

Industrial Hygienist

Industrial hygienists focus on the workplace. They study health problems in areas where people live and work and suggest changes in procedures to prevent mishaps or illness. Fumes, dust, noise, heat, radiation, etc., all fall under the realm of the industrial hygienist. Most firms employing industrial hygienists prefer a bachelor's degree with an emphasis on chemistry, biology, math, and physics. Good writing and speaking skills are imperative. Various schools offer programs ranging from two-year certificates in technician training to graduate degrees. Colorado State University has both undergraduate and advanced degree programs. For more general information consult the file in 711BH, or write:

American Industrial Hygiene Association
475 Wolf Ledges Parkway
Akron, Ohio 44311-1087

Medical Records

There are two career paths in the medical records profession: Registered Record Administrator (RRA) or Accredited Record Technician (ART). Medical records are used in every area of health care and serve as a means of communication among all members of the health care team. They also provide important legal and insurance information. RRA's may earn a bachelor's degree in medical record administration, or, if a degree has already been earned, a certificate in medical record administration. ART's may complete a 2-year program for medical record technicians at an accredited college or university program.

Arapahoe Community College offers programs in Medical Record Technology. For further information consult the file in 711BH, or write:

Arapahoe Community College
Medical Record Technology Program
5900 S. Santa Fe Drive
Littleton, CO 81020-9988
(303) 797-5795
Contact: Marjorie M. Weston, RRA

Occupational Therapy

Occupational therapy is the health profession which uses occupation (meaningful activity) to adapt, maintain, or improve a client's performance in the areas of self-care, work, and play and leisure. Services are provided to people whose lives have been disrupted by illness, injury, developmental problems, social or psychological dysfunction, or aging. Occupational therapists must complete a bachelor's degree either in occupational therapy or in some liberal arts area with the completion of two years of the occupational therapy curriculum. For more details consult the file in 711BH, or write:

The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc.
1383 Piccard Drive
P.O. Box 1725
Rockville, MD 20850

Pathologist's Assistant

The duties of a Pathologist's Assistant are assisting in or performing autopsy eviscerations, dissections, and descriptions, as well as dissecting and describing surgical specimens under the supervision of a pathologist. A Master of Health Science degree is offered by Quinnipiac College in Hamden, CT. Admission to this program requires a bachelor's degree in health sciences in a related field. Additional information can be obtained by consulting the file in 711BH, or by writing to:

Master of Health Sciences Programs
Quinnipiac College
Hamden, CT 06518-0569

Physician's Assistant

Physician's Assistants work under the supervision of a licensed physician. They perform primary medical care in industry, the military, and private practice. They work in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. Some specialize in areas such as pediatrics, surgery, emergency, ob/gyn, and neonatal care. Additional information can be obtained by consulting the file in 711BH, or writing:

The American Academy of Physician's Assistants
1117 North Nineteenth Street
Arlington, VA 22209


Radiology includes the fields of Radiation Protection, Radiology, Veterinary Radiology, Cellular and Molecular Radiology, and Mammalian Radiobiology. These specialties are aimed at studying the effects of nuclear radiation on living tissues, and in the use of radiation in treating cancerous cells. An undergraduate degree with a major in biology, chemistry, or physics is required for admission into masters and doctoral degree programs. Colorado State University offers graduate programs in radiology. More information may be obtained from the file in 711BH, or by writing to:

Department Chairman
Department of Radiology and Radiation Biology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

Rehabilitation Services

Rehabilitation therapy is designed to develop and restore working usefulness of physically and mentally disabled individuals so they may become self-supporting. Specific therapies that fall under this general heading include activity therapy, recreation therapy, industrial rehabilitation therapy, and educational therapy. Additional information may be obtained from the file in 711BH, or by writing to:

Dr. Ray Nelson, Director
Region VIII Rehabilitation Continuing Education Program
Department of Human Services
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639

Respiratory Technologist

Respiratory care practitioners use sophisticated medical equipment to help patients with lung disorders such as asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, and bronchitis. They work under the direction of qualified physicians. There are both two year programs and bachelor's degree programs available. For more information on how to enter the field of respiratory therapy consult the file in 711BH, or write:

American Association for Respiratory Care
11030 Ables Lane
Dallas, TX 75229

Speech Pathologist

Speech-language pathology and audiology are concerned with evaluation, treatment, and research in human communication and its disorders. Admission to master's level programs requires a strong liberal arts background as an undergraduate. For further information consult the file in 711BH, or write:

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Career Development
10801 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852

Surgical Technologist

Surgical technologists are integral members of the surgical team who work closely with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and registered nurse delivering direct care before, during, and after surgery. The majority of surgical technologists receive their education in accredited programs offered by community and junior colleges, vocation and technical schools, and structured hospital programs in surgical technology. These programs are ten months to two years in length. For more information consult the file in 711BH, or write:

Association of Surgical Technologists, Inc.
8307 Shaffen Parkway
Littleton, CO 80127


This program results in the award of a Master of Medical Science degree in Anesthesiology/Patient Monitoring Systems. The recipient of the degree is an Anesthesiologist's Assistant (A.A.). The A.A. assists physicians in the administration of general anesthetics in the operating room, or may work in intensive care units, respiratory therapy clinics, or in research. MCAT/GRE, a baccalaureate degree, and GPA of 3.0 are required for admission. The program is 6 semesters long. For more information consult the file in 711BH, or write:

Department of Anesthesiology
Emory University School of Medicine
475 Woodruff Memorial Building
Atlanta, GA 30322
(404) 727-5910

Test Preparation by State) Letter & Writing Career & Training

Link to us | Home | Privacy Policy Copyright 2019 The EDUers.com. All Rights Reserved