Plan Check Engineer
Salary: $33.08-$40.38 hourly / $5,753-$7,023 monthly / Range:
DEFINITION: Under general supervision, examines and checks
architectural and structural drawings and specifications submitted
for building permits to ensure conformance with building code
requirements; provides professional level support to the management
team; and performs related duties as assigned.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: Plan Check Engineer is distinguished
from Assistant Plan Checker by the responsibility for performing
reviews of all commercial, industrial, and the more complex
residential plans. Plan Check Engineer is further distinguished from
Assistant Plan Checker by the former's responsibility for performing
complex engineering calculations and analyses.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Reviews architectural drawings and engineering specifications for
completeness, accuracy, and compliance with building, structural,
mechanical, electrical, plumbing, energy conservation, and disabled
access codes and local building regulations.
2. Performs complex engineering calculations and analyses to check
engineering calculations provided by applicants.
3. Suggests plan changes to applicants in order to bring drawings
and specifications into compliance with state and local building
codes and ordinances.
4. Advises other county plan checkers in the resolution of complex
structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, energy conservation,
and disabled access problems.
5. Advises the Building Official of recommended revisions to the
Santa Barbara County Building Code to bring it into compliance with
changes in the state codes.
6. Assists in establishing and/or revising departmental policies due
to changes in methods of construction or field applications of the
7. Trains departmental staff in application of new codes, policies,
1. Possession of a bachelor's degree in civil, mechanical, or
structural engineering and three years of experience in the review
of building plans, including some commercial, industrial, and
complex residential plans; or,
2. possession of a bachelor's degree in architecture and three years
of experience in the structural design of buildings; or,
3. four years of experience performing duties equivalent to the
class of Assistant Plan Checker with the County of Santa Barbara,
including the review of some commercial, industrial, and complex
residential building plans and possession of a current registration
as an International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO) Plans
4. equivalent combination of training, education and experience that
would provide the required knowledge and abilities.
Desirable Qualifications: Registration in California as an
Architect; or Civil, Structural, or Mechanical Engineer.
Knowledge of: principles and practices of civil engineering;
applicable residential, commercial, and industrial building
construction codes; structural, electrical, plumbing, mechanical,
disabled access, and energy conservation requirements; and building
construction practices, methods, and materials.
Ability to: read, interpret, and apply building codes and
regulations to architectural drawings and engineering
specifications; communicate effectively orally and in writing with
architects, engineers, builders, inspectors, and the general public;
and train staff.