Health Services Aide, Senior
Salary: $14.23-$17.37 hourly / $2,474-$3,020 monthly / Range:
DEFINITION: Under supervision, assists professionals in the
delivery of health care or other public services through outreach
visits; and performs related duties as required.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This classification is distinguished
from Health Services Aide in that the Health Services Aide, Senior
has responsibility for conducting home visits while the focus of a
Health Services Aide is on clinic assignments.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Participates in conferences with a Public Health Nurse/case
manager to discuss the client's health status and needs, and to
assist health professionals with developing, updating, and
implementing service plans.
2. Conducts home visits or contacts clients by telephone to
determine the health status, progress, and needs of the client,
family member, or care giver; enters client contact data and other
pertinent information in progress file notes, service plan, and/or
automated system; routes information to appropriate health
professional for their review and signature.
3. Explains departmental services, and related community resources;
provides information on health care, homemaking, budgeting, and
shopping; explains the need for and value of continuing care; tracks
cost of services provided by outside vendors or contractors; ensures
that the cost of services is within the authorized budget.
4. Schedules appointments and follows-up on broken appointments;
arranges for transportation, meal services, or medical equipment.
5. May act as an interpreter where language or cultural barriers
6. May work in specific Public Health clinics, such as TB, family
planning, or sexually transmitted diseases as needed.
7. May take and record oral and rectal temperatures, pulses, blood
pressures, weights and heights; may collect urine, stool, sputum,
and other specimens; may assist physicians and nurses during
8. May order supplies, maintain inventory control, clean and
sterilize equipment, and stock clinics or vehicles for home visits.
1. One year of experience providing health care or human services
which included client recordkeeping; or,
2. one year of experience performing duties equivalent to Health
Services Aide in Santa Barbara County; or,
3. a combination of training, education, and experience that is
equivalent to the employment standard listed above and that provides
the required knowledge and abilities.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS FOR POSITIONS ASSIGNED TO THE MULTIPURPOSE
SENIOR SERVICES PROGRAM (MSSP) ONLY:
1. Possession of a bachelor's degree in a human services discipline;
2. two years of direct service experience working with the elderly.
Additional Qualifications for all positions: Some positions in this
Class may require the ability to read, write, and/or speak Spanish
or Hmong. Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License.
Knowledge of: Health and/or human services; community resources;
basic math; and Basic English grammar and usage.
In addition, positions assigned to MSSP require knowledge of
community resources for the elderly.
Ability to: assume responsibility and carry out independent
assignments; learn the range of departmental services for the
treatment of health, nutrition, social, or other problems;
understand the needs and problems facing culturally, economically,
or socially disadvantaged persons; learn basic medical terminology;
learn to use a computer system; establish and maintain good
relations with a wide range of social and ethnic groups; communicate
effectively both orally and by writing simple narrative reports;
maintain confidentiality of client information; understand and
follow oral and written instructions.
Supplemental Information: Incumbents may be required to enter homes
of persons with communicable diseases such as TB or HIV.