EDP Network Technician
Salary: $21.84-$26.67 hourly / $3,799-$4,638 monthly / Range:
DEFINITION: Under supervision, provides Help Desk and related
customer support; identifies and resolves problems with a variety of
data communication and personal computer equipment throughout the
County; plans, installs, and relocates data communication and
personal computers; and performs related duties as required.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is the entry level in the EDP
Network Technician series. Incumbents at this level are responsible
for first-level problem resolution of computer equipment Countywide,
working under closer supervision on less complex problems, whereas
the II level in the series is the journey level, performing more
complex tasks and second-level troubleshooting, as well as
evaluating and installing new products.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Provides Help Desk support to departments: receives and logs
calls; provides advice, tips, and corrective action to customers;
refers difficult calls to other support staff; follows up to advise
customers of progress on unresolved problems.
2. Performs basic diagnostic and electrical tests on equipment and
3. Receives, inventories, logs, configures, tests, installs, and
moves data communication equipment, to support Information
Technology projects and in support of customer departments.
4. Responds to repair calls by checking cable connections or
performing electrical or other tests to locate source of problems.
5. Performs daily network diagnostic checks to assess network health
and determine any outages or areas without proper network
6. Installs and labels power and communication cables to equipment,
installs and tests data cabling, and labels and documents all
7. Performs routine maintenance and cleaning on network devices.
8. Maintains inventory and accounting database for all computer
9. Assists Computer Operations staff as needed.
1. Six months' experience troubleshooting and installing computer or
data communications equipment; or,
2. a combination of training, education, and experience that is
equivalent to the employment standard listed above and that provides
the required knowledge and abilities.
Additional Requirements: Employment in this job classification
requires successful completion of a background investigation,
possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License, and the
availability to work weekends and be on call on a rotating basis.
Knowledge of: data cabling techniques; basic electrical and
mechanical principles; procedures to locate data communications
equipment problems and perform repairs; Microsoft Office Suite.
Ability to: become familiar with personal computers; perform basic
electrical and mechanical installation and repair of data
communications wiring; configure computer and data communications
equipment; read and interpret basic technical manuals; read and
apply electrical diagrams; install and test computer equipment using
software commands; understand and follow oral and written
directions; maintain records.
Supplemental Information: Performing the essential functions of this
job requires the incumbent to lift and carry items weighing up to 40
pounds; to work in tight or awkward spaces, such as under desks; to
move back and forth within and between office and equipment rooms;
and to see color.