Sample GRE Sentence Completion Questions
1. This poetry is not -------; it is more likely to appeal to an
international audience than is poetry with strictly regional themes.
2. Experienced employers recognize that business students who can
------- different points of view are ultimately more effective as
managers than are the brilliant and original
students who ------- dogmatically to their own formulations.
(A) discredit.. revert
(B) assimilate.. adhere
(C) impose.. refer
(D) disregard.. incline
(E) advocate.. relate
3. Poe's ------- reviews of contemporary fiction, which often find great
merit in otherwise ------ literary gems, must make us respect his
critical judgment in addition to his
well-known literary talent.
(A) thorough.. completed
(B) petulant.. unpopular
(C) insightful.. unappreciated
(D) enthusiastic.. acclaimed
(E) harsh.. undeserving
4. The significance of the Magna Carta lies not in its——provisions. but
in its broader impact: it made the king subject to the law.
5. The theory of cosmic evolution states that the universe, having begun
in a state of simplicity and -------, has ------- into great variety.
(A) equilibrium.. modulated
(B) homogeneity.. differentiated
(C) contrast.. metamorphosed
(D) proportion.. accelerated
(E) intelligibility.. developed
6. Not wishing to appear, -------- the junior member of the research
group refrained from ------- any criticism of the senior members' plan
for dividing up responsibility for the entire project.
(A) reluctant.. evaluating
(B) inquisitive.. offering
(C) presumptuous.. venturing
(D) censorious.. undercutting
(E) moralistic.. observing
7. The Chinese, who began systematic astronomical and weather
observations shortly after the ancient Egyptians, were assiduous
record-keepers, and because of this, can claim
humanity's longest continuous -------- of natural events.