Employment Cover Letter Construction
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/eduers/public_html/adsense_cj_api.php on line 81
- Write your cover letter with these objectives in mind:
- focus your attention on a specific job opportunity
- direct the reader to specific skills you have for that job
- clearly state why reader’s organization is of interest
- get the reader to examine your resume
- control the next communication with the reader
- Address the letter to a specific individual who has the
authority to hire for the position you seek.
Be sure you get the correct spelling of his/her name and title.
- Highlight your particular skills and how they can be
successfully used in the
reader’s organization—how you can fulfill
- Identify the reason you have chosen the reader’s organization to
idea that you are knowledgeable about the
- Diplomatically designate who should do what, when. "I will call
you by April 12 to discuss potential alternatives."
5. Do all of the above in less than 200
1. Take the initiative to follow-up your interview
with a letter.
2. Thank the interviewer for the interview
opportunity and for being considered for the job.
3. Restate your key strengths that relate directly
to the position.
4. Tell him/her that you want the job.
A sample body of a cover letter is shown
Dear Ms. Adams:
George Samuels of Simantec recommended that I
write you regarding the opening in your design department. He assures me
that Starcraft is the company that best suits my talents in project
Starcraft's rapid increase in sales volume over
the previous five years demonstrates the kind of growth that requires
the high-level project management skills I can provide. The drafting and
design program that I majored in at Mesa College does more than teach
drafting. It also provides the latest in strategic planning methods.
Both are of key importance to Starcraft, considering the Asian
competitive pressure you are experiencing.
My drafting and design program at Mesa was
supplemented by an internship assignment with Aranco Technology, a small
design firm in Phoenix. Since it was a small shop, I had the benefit of
assisting seasoned professionals at each development stage. Roberta
Macon, the owner of the firm, provided a letter of recommendation, which
I have taken the liberty to enclose with my resume.
Please examine my resume and call me anytime to
arrange an interview at your location. My phone number is (602) 750-214.
In any case, I will call you by April 2, to answer your initial
Brenda J. Douglas