City, ST Zip
Name of Contact Person
City, ST Zip
Dear (contact person),
Opening Paragraph: Why writing? Capture interest!
- Strong opening sentences to make the reader want to
- Name the job for which you are applying. Tell how you
learned about it.
- Mention the name of a person (if any) who referred you
to the organization.
- Perhaps pose a question that zeros in on a high-need
area for the employer.
Body Paragraph: Critical content section. Convince the reader
of your skills.
- Acknowledge the skills required by the open position.
- State the skills/strengths you will bring to the job and
that parallel those needed to fill the position.
- Give examples of skills, achievements - and how they
will transfer to the job.
- Comment on your knowledge of the company (their
products, services, or special projects) and why you are
interested in working for them.
Closing Paragraph: Ask for interview - identify next step!
- Refer to enclosed resume.
- Assert yourself by telling the contact person that you
will call on a designated date. Alternatively, state that
you are available for a personal interview at her/his
- Make it easy for the person to contact you: list your
phone number and times you can be reached. Even if it is on
the resume, list it here again!
Sincerely, (Respectfully, etc.)
(sign your name)
Your Name Typed
More about cover letter format: