Building Engineering Inspector Specialist
Salary: $27.78-$33.91 hourly / $4,832-$5,898 monthly / Range:
DEFINITION: Under direction, serves as a technical specialist in
a particular field of plan review and building inspection activities
such as electrical, structural, energy, plumbing and mechanical, or
grading, or coordinates permit processing such as for large-scale
energy or industrial projects; trains personnel in these specialized
fields; and performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Prepares correspondence and reports; performs the more difficult
inspections in a specialized field of building inspection, such as
electrical, structural, energy, grading, or plumbing/mechanical.
2. Handles controversial cases involving disputes over
interpretation and application of particular building codes.
3. Reviews the more complex building plans for code compliance in a
particular field; coordinates processing of complex projects which
require special inter-agency approval.
4. Confers with other County officials and builders, contractors,
property owners, engineers, architects and others on permit review
and approval and on inspection procedures and problems.
5. Represents the County at meetings and conferences related to the
6. Develops and conducts training for inspection staff in areas of
7. Meets with contractors and industry to implement new code
8. Investigates substandard conditions of building and works with
owner and County to abate violations.
1. Four years of complex and progressively responsible experience in
the design, engineering, inspection or permit coordination in a
specialized field of building construction; or,
2. two years of experience performing duties equivalent to the class
of Building Engineering Inspector III with Santa Barbara County
assigned to a specialized field of inspection supplemented by
training course work in the specialty field; or,
3. possession of an I.C.B.O. or equivalent certificate as specialty
inspector in the appropriate area, and two years of experience in an
inspection specialty; and specialized training in that specialty;
4. equivalent combination of training, education, and experience
that would provide the required knowledge and abilities.
Additional Requirements: Certification by I.C.B.O. as a specialty
inspector must be obtained within one year of appointment.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License is
Knowledge of: general methods and materials used in a construction
specialty; codes and ordinances and state and local laws relating to
a specialized field of construction; basic inspection methods.
Ability to: read, interpret, and review complex plans and
specifications relating to a specialized field of building
construction; enforce building codes and related laws; prepare clear
written reports; train and impart specialized knowledge to Building
Division personnel; interact effectively with the public and secure
the cooperation of persons in the construction industry; represent
the Building and Development Division in the specialty field in
meetings and to other County agencies; and learn and operate a